Friday, February 17, 2012

This isn't going to be pretty

I am just throwing that title out there as a fair warning to all reading.  This isn't one of those posts where Lucy did something cute or where mama is going crazy and bawling her eyes out. This post is entirely dedicated to how we have seriously got to change things in this country. This is about children dying, children in pain and screaming all day long. This is about families and it could be your family.  It could be your neighbor.  Bottom line, its about all tax paying citizens and how (excuse my language) fucked up politics has made this country and how much it needs to change...NOW.  I do not want to hear another person say their vote doesn't matter or that it doesn't make a difference. Because you know what, politicians here you.  they know people are cynics, they know people are fed up with "the fight". They know the majority of people have long given up on the ideals of a democratic society.  I may be talking about you, and I may not be. You may be like me and begging and urging people to stay informed, vote, have a voice, and let people know you are listening, paying attention, and your pissed.  Either way, things have to change.  There are a ton of political issues, but I am going to speak of one.  Health care, drugs, pharmaceutical companies, FDA.
If you haven't heard of drug shortages, let me educate you.  They happen every day, and have been happening for a long time.  The FDA has a nice little website that lists all of them. And unless they affect you, you probably don't know about them. I didn't. I didn't realize how many there were.  And then when I found out of a shortage of methotrexate (life saving drug for kids with cancer like Lucy's), it affected me so I took notice.  I am guilty of not "caring" until it affected me and my family. Ok, that's not fair, its not that I didn't really care before, I was uneducated and unaware.  Well now my ears are in tune, and guess what, its not a pretty story.  And its not just on paper, I see pictures of the kids it is affecting and who it may affect.  Hell, it could affect Lucy.  So there was a media blitz about it.  The same day Whitney Houston died.  It is still lingering a bit, but the FDA issued a statement that they have averted the crisis of the shortage and are taking care of it.  There is only one problem with that statement.  It's a lie.  I have a new network.  Its a network of cancer moms.  Today, I hear kids are NOT getting their methotrexate because the hospital is out.  So how is that averting a crisis. BTW, I am speaking of IV non-preservative methotrexate mainly.  That is the stuff that Lucy gets shot into her spinal fluid every month to help kill any of those pesky little leukemia cells hiding out to make her relapse.  And its important because the preservative free helps to keep her from having neurological damage.  That's pretty important.
So, there are other shortages as well.  One of them is IV morphine. No, Lucy doesn't need this...THANK GOODNESS!  but guess who does?  A little girl.  2 years old, Anna Rose. She is dying. They sent her home on hospice and her tumors are literally smashing her body from the inside out.  Oh, yes they sent her home to die.  With no IV morphine. So while her parents have to deal with the fact that their precious baby is dying, they also get to hear her scream all day about how much pain she is in.  Have you ever heard your child scream because they are in pain and there is nothing you can do.  I have.  sucks.
So here is what I am asking of all of you who are able to vote.  You need to #1. vote.  and #2 let your representatives know how you feel about issues (not just this one), pay attention to the issues and #3 find out who funds your candidates.  Because let's face it, money has everything to do with everything.  Drug companies (the ones who are not producing methotrexate right now in particular) have stated, it is not profitable for them to manufacture this drug. There are 5 companies doing it, and it decreases the supply/demand principles, therefore it costs more to make then to sell.  I understand. They are running a business.  Unfortunately, there business affects lives.  Children's lives. My child's life. BUT...these drug companies also have enough money to put very powerful lobbyist in Washington.  They can pay for the laws they need, the tax breaks, FDA issuing false statements, etc etc.  I cannot.  I also only have one voice.  I need help. I need millions of voices and VOTES.
Here are some links to back up the claims I made above (so you know I'm not full of shit like some of our politicians).  Be aware, be informed, and vote.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/758810?src=stfb

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm050792.htm



http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/02/16/146960417/latest-drug-shortage-threatens-children-with-leukemia

and last but certainly not least:  Here is Anna Rose....the Two year old who is dying...
https://www.facebook.com/weloveannarose

1 comment:

  1. Ever since my cousin told me about Gabby Vogel (she worked with Gabby's dad) I NEVER NEVER realized that so many children, babies, teens.... had cancer. Call me dumb, stupid, whatever.... But let me tell you I am most likely the average person. Most have their heads in the sand, or don't know anyone. We know about our friends with breast cancer, our aunt, uncles, older people. So we are scared and we deal. But a child? A 3 year old? A three month old? I will tell you my eyes have opened! WIDE! I am scared to death for their kids. I worry about them, think about them, cry over them....and really when you think about it, have become sincerely connected to them. It's time for us-the one's who are lucky enough to be spared at the moment from this monster to help. To step up and do something, anything. Send in donations for Joyjars. Call the legislators, senators....raise funds, collect donations. We are the ones that have the extra time to do it. We are not running to the hospitals, wiping up vomit, crying....I will not only talk the talk, I have started to walk the walk. I am getting involved, I send toys for Jessie's Jars, I called my senators, wrote a letter....Hang in their, their is an army behind Lucy that has been hit in the head, and has woken up. Good job girl, keep fighting. You friend in NJ Chris :)

    ReplyDelete