Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pass the "hanitizer" so I can eat some "popcorm" Please

One of the things that I absolutely love about my children is when they have their own phrases for ordinary things in life.  We often call them Lucyisms, but as we realized that Lucy is starting to use the correct terminology on things (and it is breaking our heart), we were remembering the things that Jack used to say too.
Jack used to say "harbage" for garbage, and when talking about the cafeteria at school (daycare) it was the "crapeteria", and the one that stuck around for the latest was "temote" for remote.  We even would start saying these same things instead of the regular words, and we didn't want people to correct him because it was "his" thing.  As he got older, these phrases went away, but we never thought much of it because we had Lucy who was beginning to talk, and she had her "own" words.  Well, now its becoming a very very sad time.  Lucy is no longer using lucyisms, and its breaking our hearts.  Zach has even commented on it.  Now I understand why everybody says to cherish these moments because they grow up so fast.
Lucy use to say diary when she met diarrhea, or most recently she asked for biscuits and gravy instead of "graby".  The graby one really tugged on our heart strings.  I know there are a lot of things that signify that our kids are growing up, like heading off to kindergarten, not needing help with breakfast or the tv remote, or my most favorite...they can finally wipe their own butt!!  And we are so happy about these milestones, but for some reason, the language is really a sad thing.
At least there are a few Lucyisms that are still lingering, and I really hope nobody corrects her.  It will be almost as sad as the day they finally ask about Santa.  For Now Lucy is still needs to "refreshen" up to get ready, and be sure he uses hanitizer so she can eat some popcorm, and then she hopes she won't get a tummy egg from it all ;)

1 comment:

  1. I adore the words our children use when they're learning. I know I was also sad when my daughter started to use the correct vocabulary, too. I will share a few of my daughter's "ism's."

    Garjib= Garbage
    Basgetti= Spaghetti
    Dvdv = dvd
    Rubbing ugguhaw = Rubbing Alcohol

    ReplyDelete