Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Toddlers and Tiaras-WHAT??!!!

So obviously I was watching the show toddlers and Tiaras last night, and before you judge me on my tv choice, it's summer, and there wasn't much of a selection to choose from. But let me tell you, what a train wreck! I was so disgusted, yet I couldn't stop watching!! I used to think how could people put all that make up on their children and make them
Look so promiscuous at such a young age, well that is the LEAST of my worries after watching the show. Whatever happened to the parent being in charge? Clearly none of them are in that show. And what kind of values are they teaching their kids when they put them in a contest labeled "beauty". One mom was constantly telling her daughter she was the most beautiful and that nothing else mattered in life,and let me tell you, the mom needed to look in the mirror...just saying. And one parent constantly was saying how her one child was beautiful and the other was just ok. And don't get me started on the lady who spent 250,000 on pageants and didn't blink. I would like to send all of those people through a day at St. Jude, or any childrens hospital for that matter. Or tell TLC, if they want to do a reality show try doin one on a family going through cancer. Oh, I know the sensationalism is what brings viewers and money, but the media created this idea of "extreme" anyhow. And what I don't understand is how these people don't see it when they are put on tv? They are kind of being mocked or made of. And I know a show about cancer would definitely not be what folks want to relax to at the end of the night. I mean how depressing, or is it? I'll bet the kids in those shows don't cry over something as silly as a 4 yr old who still has a pacifier. And I bet those kids and parents don't obsess about having perfect hair or waxing their eyebrows! Ok that was suppose to be funny. I don't really have a point or lesson learned for the day, but it really just bothered me so much that I am dealing with chemo, children around me dying, parents losing their jobs, houses, and minds, and in another place in the world a parent is CRYING (seriously saw it)because her child didn't win grand supreme, or whatever it's called.
That show just made realize that maybe we aren't doing such a bad job as parents afterall. My children are kind, caring, and respectful to adults (not always us cuz sometimes they call us poopy heads). Through all they have endured in the past 6 months, they have yet to complain about anything out of the norm that most 3&5 yr olds complain about. And as I sat in bed with Lucy last night telling her the story of the three bears and goldilocks, I saw the most beautiful glow in her face and definitely her smile. I asked if she remembered having long hair, and she said "we shaved it off silly". I said "it'll grow back, she said yea I know, I dont care". So to that mom on that show who said beauty is JUST skin deep, she can shove it. My bald beautiful cancer child radiated way more beauty than any of those kids I saw last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment