Friday, July 29, 2011

Flying Miss Lucy: part Deux. & Clark W. Griswald has nothing on this family

Yesterday Zach had the pleasure of flying home with Miss Lucy after her starting dex.  It seems that the demon steroid has a quicker affect the more we take it.  It used to take a few days to "settle in". Now it apparently only take a couple doses to get it in her blood and reveal satan.  And if you think I'm kidding, I bet several hundred people at the Atlanta airport would confirm.  As well as Zach of course.  Our children have fits and what not, but for the most part, they are well behaved in public.....most of the time...not on dex!  So, Daddy and Lucy fly from Memphis to Atlanta so they can catch their connecting flight to bring them to bloomington.  They arrive at one terminal and their connecting flight is, of course, at the other end of the airport.  So they make it to their gate with about 15 minutes to spare before getting on the plane.  Lucy is hungry (she's on steroids so she is ALWAYS hungry), daddy looks around.  He's got a wendys, a steak joint, and a hot dog place that has hotdogs sitting under a warmer that look as if they were left over from last night.  He thinks about it, and says "ok, lets do wendy's."  She throws this massive fit because she didn't want Wendy's.  She wanted something else.  So she threw a fit..in the middle of the aisle...at the airport.  Zach said he just stood there and protected her from people walking over her as she did the worm on the floor.  And people just walked right by, some stared and some just didn't even pay mind.  The picture is her finally just sitting in the middle of the floor.  So she looks up at him and says "I'm done throwing my fit".  So he starts to tell her why they have to go to Wendy's and they proceed to go and come to find out, all she wanted was french fries anyhow.  Then they board the plane....their seats are not even close to each other.  they are on opposite sides of the plane.  Zach explains to the flight attendant...she has cancer and she's on steroids...she needs meds and I have to sit next to her.  He said it was a huge mess because their was another baby on the plane and apparently there is a rule about how many small children can sit on the same side of the plane.  So they had to move everybody around.  Then Zach had to give Lucy her meds, and of course she was not cooperating.  I think this may have happened before they boarded, so I may have the timeline off, but at this point what does it matter.  Anyhow, she won't take it.  Again, she's being defiant.  So Zach very sternly says "you do NOT have options here, you HAVE to take your medicine".  A lady looks over at Zach and says "well I think your little boy is very well behaved" in a judgmental tone as to criticize Zach for being so stern.  Zach says "SHE is NOT a little boy, her name is Lucy and she has cancer and has medicine she HAS to take RIGHT now".  The lady turned her head away after she heard the name Lucy.  People mind your own business.
So.....while Zach and Lucy are flying from Atlanta to Bloomington, Jack says his throat hurts and he doesn't feel well, actually he had been saying it the night before and all morning, but I checked all morning and there was no fever.  So when he told me again, I checked and sure enough 102.4 fever.  SHIT!  Lucy is on her way home after a hard hitting chemo, she's on dex, which means compromised immune system to follow in a couple of days, and Jack is sick.  So I take him to the walk in clinic.  Guess who our doctor is.  The SAME lady who told me Lucy had a virus when I took her in the day after xmas and that she would be fine.  Which of course, we all know the ending to that prediction.  Good thing I took her to the ER for a second opinion.  Anyhow, She looks at Jack's throat, checks his lymph nodes and says it definitely looks like strep throat.  Writes us a script for antibiotics and I'm on my way.  So I go and get his meds, and call St. Jude to see how we should handle this situation.  they said to keep the two apart and bleach the house before Lucy comes home.  So, I make Zach and Lucy a reservation at the Holiday Inn by the airport.  They, by the way, were AWESOME and very accommodating.  So, Zach lands, and I tell him the shuttle will be there to pick him up.  So about 15 minutes later, I get this text "the luggage carousel stopped, and we still don't have our bag".  OMG!!  are we seriously living in a bad dream???  So Zach proceeds to go to the counter, and ask where his bag is.  At this moment, dex kicks in, and Lucy decides to hit Zach with baby white.  and scream....the entire time he's trying to figure out where his bag is.  Well, they find his bag, its is Marlyand.  Awesome.  So, he gets on the shuttle and goes to the hotel.  I proceed to load up Jack, who is still running a fever, and bring him a packed bag of clothes and all the essentials, then return home.  It doesn't end yet...you may want to go get a drink or a snack..... :)
So zach and lucy go down to the restaurant to eat, Baxters. Its a fancy type of restaurant. We took the kids there once...never again..but of course he has no choice in this matter.  Lucy proceeds to jump up and down on the seat yelling "yippee" over and over.  Now I know some of you might be saying "you need to discipline that child".  Well, its IMPOSSIBLE to do so on dex in public, and I'm certain those of you with a child on dex are probably shaking your head in agreement.  So then she gets her food.  She ordered chicken fingers and french fries.  She yells at the waiter. I HATE chicken and fries.  Zach apologizes and tells him to go on, he'll take care of her.  So Zach eats, Lucy doesn't.  So the waiter comes back over and asks if she is done, and Zach says "can I have a box". Well being a fancy type of restaurant, they wrap up your food for you in the back, so the waiter proceeds to taker her plate away.  Zach said all of a sudden, Satan appears.  He said he didn't even recognize her voice when she yelled at the waiter "I"M NOT DONE YET".  Again, he apologizes and says if you just get me a box, we will get out of your hair.  So while the waiter is getting the box, Lucy proceeds to cram the food in her mouth.  All while saying "I hate chicken, I hate fries", but she eats it all.  WHEW!  I think the man deserves a medal for that!!  He then takes her back to the room and they do not leave for the rest of the night.
I continue to take care of Jack because I firmly believe he should have his mom if he's sick.  Jack finally falls asleep and that's when I start cleaning.  I get out the bleach, the clorox wipes, and both of my steamers and go to town.  I don't miss a door knob, light switch or anything.  By time I go to bed, I'm sick to my stomach from all the bleach smells in my house. I check on Jack, and he is sweating and feels much better. Phew...must have broken his fever.
So at 5:30 am, I'm woken up by "MOM".....I go into Jack's room, he says "I feel much better".  I feel him and he's a bit warm, maybe a low grade fever, but he does feel better.  He says he is thirsty.  Of course he is, he was sweating last night.  So he gets a big glass of water and chugs it down.  And then I give him ibuprofen for his low grade fever.  3 minutes later, he pukes.  3 times.  On my freshly steamed floor.  He says "oh, I feel better now".  LOL  So I tell him to go lay down and I clean up the puke.  Put the towels and blanket he yacked on in the washing machine, turn on the hot water, guess what....doesn't work.  So I switch it to cold, and it works like a charm.  So I thought maybe it needed time to warm up, so I switch it hot again...nothing but a weird loud sound.  So I wash the stuff in cold.  Then I wait 20 minutes, give him some more meds, and a sip of water.  So far so good...AND I just got done steaming the floors again and going around with my clorox wipes to everything he touched.
So for flying miss Lucy...Zach wins HANDS down
And for the Griswalds.....I think the Webers have beat you out in terms of Murphy's law...you've got nothing on this family.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I'm speechless - what a completely insane day you all had. You are both rock star parents, and Zach I applaud your restraint - I would have clocked that lady!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so appreciate your blogs and reading your updates. First, I think you both are awesome at handling the temper tantrums!

    Shawna, you and Zach are amazing parents, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I am in awe of how you two hold it all together and make sure Lucy and Jack are so well taken care of. That woman on the plane totally should have minded her own business, how rude! And, poor little Jack, I hope he is doing better!

    Sending lots of positive energy your way!

    Oh, and I love the picture :)

    ReplyDelete