Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Dear Jack

Happy birthday bud! I can't believe you are now 6 years old! I still remember the day you were born like yesterday. I remember exactly how I felt and every minute of what was going on up until your delivery. We were so anxious to finally meet you and eager to see what you looked like. I had an image in mind what I thought you'd look like and you blew that out of the water when you came out with those huge chubby cheeks looking more handsome
Than I could ever imagine. You were also very forgiving to your parents for their lack of know how with a new born! I think it took both daddy and I at least 30 minutes to change your diaper and dress you to come home. We were nervous we were going to break you and giggling over how wrong we were doing everything.
We did a Lot of things wrong that first and second year as parents, heck we still make mistakes and you being the first child seem to get the brunt of those mistakes, yet you are growing up to be a kind, gentle person with loads of compassion and friendliness for others.you have taught me about unconditional love and for that I thank you.
I also remember the day lucy was born and when we brought her home, I was so worried about you. I didn't want you to feel neglected or left out. And you were a champ about it all! You loved your sister and would surround her with all your toys (something that has seemed to cease as you both get older ;) ). You also kept asking when she could play with you and start talking. You were very patient, something that is an amazing quality for a two year old. And Lucy followed your every movement, always. It wasn't mom or dad she sought out, but it was you. Her big brown eyes always looked at you with amazement. And you could make her laugh like nobody else.
I know this past 7 months have not been easy for you. You had to watch as your parents were crying and not knowing or understanding why. You had to watch mommy and Lucy leave in an ambulance and mommy crying, and you didn't know why.you had to say goodbye to your companion for the past three years not quite understanding why and not knowing how long she would be gone. When we finally came home after many many weeks, you had to get to know the physical appearance of your sister all over again, and you never said one mean thing to her. You have always told her she was beautiful.
I know you have sacrificed a lot of personal time and even some of your favorite activities for what has gone on in our lives, and I thank you for that. I wish I had the language and words to explain to you in a 6 year old way how important you have been in this whole journey.
For all
The times you've had to put up with lucys moodiness due to her medicine, for all the things we couldn't do because of lucys cancer. And that's another thing, I wish I didn't have to tell you at such a young age what cancer was. But just like you have overcome and prevailed all of our "first parent mistakes" and turned out so far to be a wonderful little boy, you are prevailing over our current circumstances, and I don't think any more love could come from
You to your sister. Thank you for being kind, patient, and loving. Happy birthday bud.

No comments:

Post a Comment