Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Planes, trains, and hospital shuttles

Well today we head for memphis for a 3 day excursion, actually one of those days is at the hospital, the other two are travel days. Since it was just a one day appointment, we decided it would be easiest to fly this round. Driving usually takes an extra 4 days since Lucy can't quite handle the entire 7-8 hours in one sitting. She never was a very good car traveler, even pre-cancer. She gets motion sickness, like me. Today she we will experience her first plane ride. I asked if she was excited, and she replied with "no, because I don't like procedure. The white stuff that tastes like yucky milk (they can taste what is given into their port), and she said she doesn't like to throw up. There hasn't been a procedure yet that hasn't made her throw up. They still don't have her cocktail of meds right and its been changed a few times. I will let them know again they are going to have to try something different. She has now developed an aversion to procedure. And there are many more lumbar punctures with chemo to go.
The only downside couple of downsides to the train are as follows: airport and airPlanes = germs. So I'm making her wear her mask the whole trip. And of course there is no direct flight to memphis, so we have 2 hr layovers in Atlanta. Both ways. So I have to keep a masked, possibly nuetropenic child entertained for 2 hrs while limiting her exposure. Hmm, I'm always up for a challenge.
Sowe have taken the train to memphis, our swagger wagon, and now a plane today. Once we get there, we are reliant upon the hospital shuttle to get us to our destination. Normally, we would be staying at the grizzly house for short trips, but I hear they are pretty swamped, and the RMH is also full. So either target house or the marriot is where we will land our Heads for the evening.
I will let everybody know how the plane trip goes and try to take lots of pictures! Tomorrow, we are in appointments and. Procedure all day, and Thursday we fly home.
I also wanted to let everybody know that Friday, at the relay for life at normal west, if Lucy is feeling well, we are doing the child lap and survivor lap! Come and rot her on. When I get exact times, I'll post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment